Sunday, April 12, 2009

Fishing, Flu, Friends!





A few weeks back we made it out to Sandbridge Pier so Clayton could finally start his East Coast Fishing.   It was a hurry up and get ready and out of the house or I was going to be left behind, that is to say that Gabby and Clay were waiting anxiously for me in the car.  I was busy doing little things like changing out of my pajamas, getting snacks and diapers for the day.  The day looked cloudy, but turned out to be Beautiful!  Gabby and I planted ourselves on the sand with the very important pail and shovel. Clay was on the Pier setting up all his gear and squid we stopped to get at a little bait shop.  Sand castles were built, decorated with shells and feathers, knocked down, re-built.  No fish were caught, but we did see other very serious fishermen who caught skate (look like a sting ray).  One guy even let Gabby touch the skate, and then yelled and scared her when she did.  Fun was had by all.
   Last weekend I came down with a sudden case of the stomach flu.  My goodness it was awful and I don't think I could have handled it for more than the 24 hours it lasted.  Thankfully Clay was home and able to take care of Gabby.  I spent way too much time being sick and not enough time sleeping.  Sunday morning I woke up feeling good, and grateful it was gone.  Clay and Gabby escaped it too, another blessing.
   A good friend of ours who was on the ship in Japan with Clay stopped by for a visit.  Steven just spent the last 6 months in Iraq serving with an Army group, whose job it was to shoot down rockets and IPGs aimed at his base.  VA was his first stop into the USA before going on leave to see his family in TX and then onto a new duty station in San Diego.  Steven stayed with us, and got to sleep in the princess bed. What a change, from a tent in the dessert to a 2 year old girls princess (as we call it, really there are no princess' on it) bed.  Gabby and I made him a Welcome Home poster, it did have princess stickers on it, and crayon drawings.  We also made him brownies, which were a big hit for all of us!  Gabby and Steven both fell a little in love I think.  Steven got the military treatment once again and was delayed b/c of paperwork.  Finally after 4 days in town he got to go home. It is so nice to have friends from different places and get to see them in new places, even if just for a little visit.
* oh and the picture of Gabby painting is her "bird castle" as she calls it.  What a fun time we had doing it, on two separate days!  She plays with it all the time!

3 comments:

K + T said...

So great to hear the stories that make up your days (: The picture of Gabby and Clay is so cute - both with fishing poles... just love it. Also love the bird castle - and she's so right, of course it's a castle - it's not just a regular house, that much is obvious! Sending you all hugs and kisses, Kayali

Andrea said...

Ok the top picture with the "cool shades" is my favorite. What a doll. Sarah, I've been thinking about you...you're almost there! Sorry you got the flu, that's the worst...actually I think when the little ones get it it's worse, glad Gabby escaped it!
We miss you guys!

rockin'_robyn said...

Gabby is growing into being quite the little lady. I love to see candid pictures of her...and you and Clayton. Keep up the blogging.