Thursday, February 7, 2013

Mermaid Party

What great fun it is to celebrate Gabby turning 6.  In fact we did it a few times.  Friday night was the family pizza party.  6 pizzas, lots of family and a few friends, and a yummy ice cream cake made by Aunt Molly. The whoopi cushion Elliot got as a replacement from the one that got broken on Christmas was a huge hit.  Kids squealing and laughing and running thru the house.  After the party Friday, I stayed up late finishing my crafts and Saturday morning we had the early basketball game to complete the Kindergarten season.
  
 Celebrating 6 years old at the family party.
 The "Sweet Shop" set up in the living room, all the kids got to fill up their own little bag with lots of candy.  Gummy sharks are a must at a mermaid party.  Clay and I have discussed keeping this up in the living room full time, HA!
 Starfish hair clips and a few headbands I made for each of the girls.  I wasn't sure about how to make these when Gabby suggested them, but I ended up being pretty happy with them.
 My oyster cookies.  2 shortbread cookies (these had swirls on them which worked well for looking like shells, or you could use nilla waffers) some pink frosting and a hard mint for the pearl. 
 Mermaid tails diving into the blue ocean... or so they were supposed to be. The frosting was kind of a mess, but I loved making the green mermaid tails out of chocolate. 
 At one point ALL the girls were playing dress up, good thing we have a big selection!
 Happiest of birthdays!
These are mermaids made out of clothespins. I painted the green, and had the tails cut out (Actually I gave Clay the task of tracing and cutting out all the foam tails!) before the party. Each girl got to draw her own bikini top, face and then pick the hair color they wanted.  
I would say the party was a success, I stressed out about it a bit- but we all had a great time and it was nice to get to know the kids outside of school and some of their parents!

1 comment:

K + T said...

Thanks so much for posting all of the fun! You are an amazing hostess and G looks like she had a ball! What was E doing during all of this hoopla ?