Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Berry Fun

Feels like we have been having a true kids kind of summer lately! Nothing fancy, just doing the sorts of things we did as kids- and having a good time doing it!
Yesterday morning we found ourselves way out in Berry country- picking blueberries and blackberries. With fresh peaches from a fruit stand on our way home this was what I made:
Blackberry Peach cobbler. This was before I poured on the custard, added the crumble topping and baked it. It is now out of the house- after eating some last night I made Clay take it to work so I wouldn't nibble it alllllll day long! My favorite part- the almond extract in it!
Chocolate covered strawberries for the baby shower I threw on Saturday. As pretty as they looked here, the next day they were much gooier looking- that's the problem with making things early (24 hrs) to avoid having my most ambitious helpers "help" me.
Backyard baseball, a whole evening full of fun. E started it inside with this bat and ball, but the way he can connect he two we quickly moved outside into the evening sun.
Is it normal for a 2 year old to be able to HIT a tossed ball- consistently?
This girl is a bit newer to the swing, and making contact with the ball. Dad was really coaching her on the proper basics of stance and swing. It helped, but she got so frustrated when she wasn't perfect at it. She has the competitive streak in her that I do not!
her swing had quite the twirl to it when she started! she got so into it, her and Clay ended their coaching session on the computer with clips of professional baseball players hitting homeruns, followed by strike outs. yes even people who play ball for their job miss the ball, it is OKAY!
Back to berry picking, this boy would somehow get quite a few berries in his bucket- but then they were quickly gobbled up!
G is NOT a berry eater, she did quite a good job picking- but didn't eat a single berry the entire time!
These 2 girls are berry best friends!
I was quite surprised on the walk between blueberries and blackberries to find the snake sticking its head out of this birdhouse. I was not brave enough to get very close, ewwww.
Berry Best Buddies!
Now on to more Summertime activities, mowing the lawn! It is after 8am on a Tuesday I can start soon- before the heat index hits 100 today! Looking forward to one of the best things about summer, family visits!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Love the picture of Gabby with her leg flying in the air. Funny!!
That cobbler sounds delicious. Those workin' buddies got lucky. I want to pick at that right now as I sit here...

Krista said...

I'm still so jealous of your berry picking adventure! Your cobbler sounds wonderful. I love almond extract, too. I made pancakes for dinner last night and put a little bit in because it just makes everything taste better!