Monday, September 3, 2012

Artist Point

Two weeks running Clay and I have hiked.  Last weeks hike was challenging, to say the least.  We hiked off of Chuckanut Drive, up to the Oyster Dome.  It was brutally steep all 6.5 miles round trip. Today we ventured out on a much more leisurely and enjoyable hike. Granted we had the kids with us so we only made it 2 miles... and the pace was slower.  Today we visited the very tip top of Mt. Baker, and did the Artist Point trail. There wasn't too much of an incline, well you don't notice walking it- what you notice is the drastic drop off the path down the side of the mountain.  There is no boundary, just wide open space with lots of rocks.  I spent most of the time reminding Elliot to use nice feet, and holding his hand (or giving him  a shoulder ride, no that wasn't very smart either but I was SUPER careful.)  My dear friend Mindi and her husband Jon were along for the adventure, and I am not sure if they will consider hiking with us again- well at least not for exercise (they did the Oyster dome hike 2 weeks ago.)   On the drive up the mountain we had to stop and let the kids pee along the road. Once at the top while we ate our picnic lunch, Elliot did a very impressive pee down the hillside- making sure he was facing the people in the parking lot below and aiming as far as he could.  We may have had to stop along the trail as well.  Did I mention there was singing of the "Ants go marching one by one" hurrah hurrah! We made it a mile and to the first lookout area.  The view was incredible, there was snow to play in and then it was time to head back!
 Couldn't quite these 2 to hold still, E was more interested in trying to slide down the huge rock (no he didn't get to!)
 Snowball fights in September.. they both whined of cold hands!
 Our Family of 4, on top of the World.
 Seeing this picture reminds me of a quote I associate with Gabby; "Let her sleep. For when she wakes, she will move mountains." She will also run them!  Now I am all teary thinking about her going to school.


Feeling so Blessed.  Today was one of those days that makes your heart smile extra big!
 

1 comment:

K + T said...

Just such a beautiful post. Love the pictures, love the story, love the family. And yes, they will move mountains!