Wednesday, August 6, 2008

10K


Yes, it is true- I ran my first 10 K race this past Saturday! The stroller class was under the impression that it would be a 5K route that you would do twice. It wasn't which was really nice and it pushed me harder to run the whole thing.  Does your brain ever play tricks on you, like totally switch times on you?  Well I thought the race started at 9am, the stroller group would meet up about 8:30 to get ready for it. I mosey out of the house at 8:25, stop and talk to the neighbor, look at all the stuff being set up for Friendship day (open base= thousands of Japanese come on base and partake in all sorts of activities, food, dancing, firework celebration).  I get to the start and no one is there- the people working it know me b/c they are my bosses for PT Tots.  They say "Sarah, you're LATE! Just go, you don't need a number."  Me, "was it at 8:30???? Where do I go"  So I ended up starting the race all by myself,  was 7 minutes late, and didn't know the route- I just took off running!  I caught a few people I know, picked up a companion (a 7 year old boy who rides his bike with his mom during stroller class, he ditched his mom to ride with me).  The reader board at the middle school said the temp was 92* and it felt like that plus some!  I finished the race, with the time clock saying 1:12, but take into account my late start I finished it in one hour and 5 minutes.  Not the greatest mile time, but I still am proud of it.  I didn't even feel sore afterwards!  This takes me closer to my goal of running 10 miles, 10K equals out to 6.2 miles.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go!!! I am so proud of you...too bad you got a late start :) funny though! Love you, mindi

K + T said...

Sarah, you are amazing!!! Congratulations - I was checking the math - it means you did 6 10 minute miles ! Fantastic! Lots of love, Kayali

Ms. Molly said...

Amazing!