Friday, January 30, 2009

TWO!





My baby girl turned TWO today!  What a wonderful two years it has been, and we are looking forward to so many more years.  Gabby has been so excited about birthdays for going on 4 or 5 months now.  When we were still in Japan we went to two birthday parties in one week, at that point she was really ready for it to be her turn for a birthday.  I was even asked "momma, sing happy birthday to ME!"  Moving away changed the style of celebration we had, simply because we don't know any new friends in our area yet to have a party with.  I tried to make it as exciting and fun as she could want. 
   All week I asked Gabby what she wanted for breakfast for her birthday, her reply "cupcakes with sprinkles, and hotdogs."  I didn't give in to that, but instead she had a chocolate muffin with two candles, turkey breakfast sausage and vanilla milk.  Plus I had a princess balloon waiting for her when she woke up!  
   Still trying to get the house in order, and having company come this weekend means that we have been trying to hang things on the walls and figure out where to put the last of our stuff. One of my jobs that needed to be done before friends come was to clean the couches, we got a new little steam cleaner for the job.  I cleaned the couch and Gabby got to enjoy her very favorite show Diego and then Kai Lan too. Over the vacuum I could her her speaking Spanish and Chinese!  I think she was happy and I was glad to have the cleaning done, and couch looking better.  
   Yes we are having company this weekend.  Our former neighbors from Japan who are out of the military and living 3 hours away from us are coming to see us and help celebrate Gabby being 2.  Geo, her very best friend is 3 and his parents are driving down tomorrow morning to play and visit.  We are all very excited, it has been almost 7 months since we saw them.
  Clay got home from work early, we went to the post office to pick up lots of boxes that were waiting for us.... so much for being done unpacking and free from deciding where things go. The birthday girl was fast asleep in her carseat for a much needed nap.  Grocery shopping to pick up last minute ingredients for birthday and superbowl celebrations and then out to a good Mexican restaurant.  Once home one of Miss G's favorite activities, baking, not just baking but baking CUPCAKES!!  From scratch we made chocolate coconut mud cupcakes and then a coconut cream cheese frosting, which of course we colored ORANGE (her absolute favorite color).  Played with some new birthday toys, a bath, stories and off to bed it was.
  So after all that went on today, I am amazed at how quickly the past two years has gone by but also astonished by the amount of stuff that has happened.  Two years seems to have gone by quicker than the 35 hours of labor I was in.  Last night as I put her to sleep I told her about the day she was born, and how happy she has made her dad and I... and continues to make us!  After my story to her, she told me one:  "Once upon a time in a far away land there was a beautiful princess.  She lived in a castle. She had a beautiful mom, and a beautiful dad.  She had a dog and a cow on a farm."  
 I love you my sweet Gabby Jean! Happy 2nd Birthday!
   

2 comments:

Ms. Molly said...

Such a fun and happy birthday for G. She looks so happy and cute baking her cupcakes. I'm glad to read your writing again sis.

K + T said...

Sarah, so sweet your post. Made me get all teary! I hope Geo's visit will make up for her being in a new place on her birthday! Lots of love,
Kayali