Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Good Eats!


You would think it was winter the way I have been baking.  I guess the start of rainy season has planted me inside and made me eager to be productive. It is hard to cook new things sometimes, but it is so good to have something fresh and yummy that you aren't yet tired of.  Last week I attempted to make some muffins, but didn't use a  recipe and tried not to use sugar.  That didn't turn out so fantastic!  Gabby did enjoy helping me, using her whisk and pouring the ingredients into the bowl.  I got out one of my cook books today, prepared to follow it (well for the most part, if you know me you know I hate to measure and always throw in extra stuff).  The first batch of muffins was Peanut butter muffins with pureed carrots in them ( I am trying to make healthy snacks).  I added some chocolate chips to the top of half and jam to the others like it said.  I must say they are pretty tasty.  Second batch of mini muffins is a jumble of things that sounded good, only slightly using measurements from the first recipe.  I call them Banana Chocolate Chai muffins, with pureed carrot and yogurt too to make them moist.  YUM-O!  They do not taste to much like Chai ( I just bought a jar of Chai spice this weekend) but are delicious!
   Soup has been another one of my new things to try to cook.  I mostly stick to chicken soup, with lots of veggies and can of stewed tomatoes.  I usually add noodles too so there is more in it for Gabby to eat.  Today's chicken soup was not the best I have made.  I opted not to put in tomatoes and instead had more of a broth with just veggies, chicken, potatoes and spices.  Last week I made a black been soup, didn't taste like anything new it reminded me of a taco soup- which is always enjoyable.  
For dinner last night we had a wonderful new theme meal.  I am excited to do it again that is how good it was.  Greek was the theme.  I marinated chicken in a yogurt, cilantro, paprika and cumin sauce and Clay put it on the BBQ.  I made a delicious hummus and we toasted pita bread and grilled red onion to go with it.  Gabby LOVES hummus while her father will not touch it. She really does eat almost anything, I am so thankful for that!  ~ On a side note about her eating everything, her new love is hotdogs!  The girl is crazy about them, when I ask what she wants for breakfast or what we need to buy at the store she tells me "dotdog!"  

1 comment:

Ms. Molly said...

I made cookies a couple weeks ago and not measuring provided me with some tasty but flat cookies. You are defintly the baker in the family. And those muffins look awesom!