Thursday, August 12, 2010

Kuspuk


Gabrielle got a Kuspuk last year from her Eskimo Grandma. Her kuspuk is special, and fun made in Alaska by her Great Aunt. Gabby knows that it is special to be Eskimo, and we are trying to teach her more about it. Last week she had big leaves in her hair and pretended she was an Indian Princess. She is, and Elliot is an Indian Prince! Here is the Princess on the beach, in her butterfly kuspuk.



A kuspuk is the traditional Yupik overshirt type garment worn by both men and women. Summer kuspuks are made from light-weight cotton, and are often worn over a tee shirt. Winter kuspuks are made of heavier fabric, and may even be lined with flannel or fur.Parkas are the supreme winter kuspuks, made of heavy fur on the outside. Kuspuks are the appropriate garment to wear for any occasion, from cutting fish to picking berries to Eskimo dancing to getting married. - Tundra Medicine Dreams

4 comments:

Ms. Molly said...

Very cool. Is it weird that I still am surprised your kids are Eskimo and mine isn't?! I always think our kids have the same genetic background...I guess I forget about their dads :)

Andrea said...

That's great that Gabby already has Eskimo pride! Did you edit that photo at all? It's so beautiful. The sky is amazing! Gabby's got herself quite the tan:)

K + T said...

It's beautiful that you keep the tradition going Sarah. Gabby looks super in her Kuspuk! Now I want one!!!

rockin'_robyn said...

what a great story! i'll have to show this to mom :)