Monday, September 26, 2011

MD

Just call me Mommy Doctor.
E has been extra tired the past week, and that is so unlike him- actually wanting to nap! In the wee hours of Sunday morning G woke me up because she got hot (really? take your blanket off!) so I got up and checked on E as long as I was awake (yes every time I wake up I check on the kids.) I noticed his diaper had leaked, so I changed him, and doing so, noticed he was so HOT. I took his temperature, it was just over 102. Medicine and ice water, then just about back to sleep and he started talking crazy. He told me he was magic, he could blow his breath and see something on the ceiling. When is it crazy and when is it just childhood imagination? That woke me right up, and him too. We ended up on the couch for 2 hours, watching a bit of a cartoon and snuggling till he was "normal" and I was beyond exhausted. All of Sunday he was sick, taking a nap 2hrs after waking up, not finishing milk or juice (the kid can guzzle juice like you wouldn't believe.) After another nap, and a dose of motrin wearing off his temp was up to 103. I am not one to wait around to see if it will get better, just a bug type thing. I know my kid. He wouldn't eat, except popsicles. I left Clay to make dinner and I took E to the clinic. We got the Dr I hoped (if he had a private practice I would go to him, he is so calm and gentle. We have seen him 3 times before I think during off hours- and I like him better than our old regular Dr). E was a trooper, and he did everything they asked of him; standing on the scale, height, finger pulse, temperature... The Dr said his throat looked fine, but lymph nodes were swollen. E didn't mind them shoving the huge Q-tip down his throat, he just asked the guy why. Results, just as I suspected: Strep Throat! Neither G or E has had it before, but somehow I just knew thats what it was. Must be cold and flu season, the clinic was all out of the antibiotic! And of course being a Sunday evening the pharmacies all closed at 6pm and we were 45 minutes too late. We got the medicine today, and now it is just a matter of the rest of us not getting sick. I am ever hopeful, feeling crummy all day and exhausted, and Clay seems to be in the same boat as me. Movie night it is!
On the bright side, I made a new dessert. It is easy and mostly healthy! I had 2 frozen bananas that stared ugly at me each time I opened the freezer.... I peeled them and chopped them up (may try peeling them before freezing them next time) put them in the blender with a spoonful of unsweetened cocoa powder, it wouldn't blend well so I added some splashes of coconut milk (not the canned kind, rather the jug kind I bought as an alternative to regular milk). Blended up and it was delicious! try it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good momma award to you, Sarah Beth! I love that you have the confidencweto know what to do and when to do it. Yes, you know your kids! Good job, Mama! Yo Mama