Saturday, May 15, 2010

CSA 2





What a wonderful Friday we had yesterday! No work for the Mr. and for the 3rd day in a row we were out of the house by 9am. Where to? Only our favorite place to go, you often hear Gabby and Clay discussing trips... to the "hardware store" aka Lowe's. We bought a BBQ, and other things for projects to be (sanding and painting dressers soon I hope). We have been without a BBQ since we sold ours when we left Japan. No way did we want to have that dirty grill packed and shippe half way around the world. Our apartments didn't allow them on the balcony (plus would there have been room?) and so it has brought us to now. Clayton feels we are now whole again, being able to BBQ. I am happy we don't have to use the oven on hot days. Last night we used the new grill for homemade turkey burgers, grilled corn, a little red onion and then we had baked beans too!
While Clay was slaving away in the HOT sun putting the BBQ together I took the kids to pick up week 2 of our CSA. The girl working said that last week's bag was spinach and not swiss chard. It sure was meaty for spinach, but then again I am used to store bought baby spinach. This week our basket had: spinach, 4 squash (yellow ones that look like zucchini) a basket of strawberries (already gone!), a bundle of green onions and a cabbage.
I had to use the spinach from last week up since we now have another bag. I put together a frittata, sauteed spinach, mushrooms and a little of the green onion all together. Didn't notice I had bought southwestern egg beaters, heck I didn't know they came in flavors! Add a little flour and a dash of cream (on hand for the chocolate ganache we are making for my molten chocolate birthday cupcakes) and then bake it! I like it, Clay won't touch it b/c well it has spinach and mushrooms and eggs!
Elliot just woke up, from what has turned into his once a day nap. We no longer do 2 naps, although he still gets a little too tired to not have 2. He naps later, for almost 2 hrs and then he goes to bed anytime between 6:30p and 7:30pm. What a big boy he is growing to be! Smart too! I sometimes don't realize how brilliant he is because he isn't quite as articulate as Gabby always has been (who is?). We sing songs and he follows along, yesterday throwing his hands up and saying what sounded like "hooray!" When asked he will point to his; eyes, ears, nose (well he sticks his finger up it), mouth (sticks out his tongue), fingers and toes. Plus he has known his belly and head for a few months!
Gabby is really into watching cooking shows. Whenever she likes what you cook she says "can I have your recipe?" Once I get a few minutes I will have to write the ongoing conversation we have about when she grows up and where she will live!

3 comments:

K + T said...

We love your kids, we love you blog, we love hearing all about you guys! Keep it up!
Auntie Kayali & Uncle 'Mas

Batten Rouge said...

Your kids are brilliant!! And they owe it all to you of course :) We also got a new BBQ this year, its Chris' baby. But its great to have for sure! Hope you guys are enjoying the sun & heat!

Ms. Molly said...

E is a smarty pants and athletic to boot. I hope C loves to cook and read as much as G!