Sunday, September 5, 2010

2:34:44

13.1 miles done! I am now proud (and a bit sore) to say I am a finisher of a half marathon. That's right, I ran just over 13 miles today- along with 16thousand+ others. It was a great day for it, not too hot at all.
4am- wake up, alarm not set to go off till 4:35am but might as well get up now.
5am- Clay's car won't start (again! maybe it is the fuel pump??) so I can't drive myself 5 minutes away to the shuttle parking. Wake kids up and put them in the van, they are a little unsure of what is going on.
5:28am- ride shuttle bus along with thousands of others to the Convention center, the start of the race.
wait around, wait some more, wait more, have water, a banana, pee, wait some more, find my starting corral- #22.
7am- Rock 'n Roll 1/2 Marathon 2010 officially starts.
7:35am- I reach the starting line and begin my run!
mile 5 , stop to pee
mile 7.5, bad side ache till mile 9. Walked for first time at mile 8, what a great 8 miles!
mile 10, what was I thinking, am I crazy?? as I run over the bridge with a gorgeous view.
mile 10.5, starting to get leg cramps. ouch.
mile 11.5, my great friends Gina and Anna were on the route with glitter signs cheering and screaming for ME! What a boost!
mile 12, alright almost done.
mile 12.5, seriously still a half mile to go!?!? walking, a medical aid asked if I was okay! Darn leg cramp. I kept going.
mile 13.1 DONE!!!!! legs so sore, with a pain I have never before known. 2nd medical aid asks if I am okay- I mumble yes. They may be concerned b/c my face turns almost purple when I run and I am now hobbling.
My official race time clocked in at 2 hrs 34 minutes and 44 seconds! The most I ever ran training for this race was 6 miles. once. Next time- wait am I saying that??? I will train better!
I wandered around with the other runners and huge crowd, taking breaks to take my shoes off and sit and stretch, and come out of my physical and mental blur, sat some more, and then finally spotted Clay and the kids!
A few funny bits on my run. Mile 2 the man in front of me was juggling while running. I got passed TWICE by a one legged man on crutches, no joke the man was fast. I passed a pregnant woman and a little person (is midget not politically correct?). Some lady talked to me "see I told you I'd see you" still no clue who she was but she was sure she knew me. I got asked by a total of 3 medical staff to see if I was alright.
It was a great day, I can say that now that my legs are only sore and not unable to do anything but ache- I mean each part of my leg was in pain, plus I got one small blister on my toe. Finished the day off at a bbq with wonderful friends and great food!

3 comments:

Ms. Molly said...

You were even faster then you thought! Great job Sarah, I'm so impressed that you ran 13+ miles. I love that your girlfriends surprised you and cheered you on just when you needed it.

Krista said...

Great job, Sarah! I laughed out loud at the "I got passed TWICE by a one legged man on crutches" and Adam asked me what I was looking at, so I had to read it to him and he's laughing, too! :-) But we are both still very impressed that you did this and FINISHED it and did such a great job!! You go, Girl!

K + T said...

Hysterical blog. You are a fantastic writer, runner, mother, baker, wife... geez, what can't you do ??? We are so lucky to have you in our lives! XXOO, K + T