A few weekends back we finally started our project of sanding and painting the kids dressers. Elliot's dresser was one we inherited from our friends when we moved here, it did the job but wasn't perfect. Clay started sanding it but then ended up taking the sides off which means it was done for, no more dresser! During nap, while the boys slept (this was on our anniversary) Gabby and I headed out to a few stores to see what we could find in terms of a replacement. Nadda. Later that evening after a romantic dinner of Papa Murphy's pizza (we just got one here in VA, and it is REALLY close to us- PERFECT) we strapped the kids into their carseats and off we went, on the hunt again. We wanted a good quality wood dresser, that was sturdy enough to handle E, but didn't want to pay a hefty sum. This is how it worked, pull up to a thrift store- I jumped out and did a quick run thru the store, nope nothing. No use getting the kids in and out of their seats if they don't have anything worth looking at. It got old, the closest we came to finding anything was old, non perfect, wood dressers at the Salvation Army where they wanted $200. No. It was late, almost 7pm which means we should have been home getting the kids ready for bed. One last stop, the DAV thrift store. Sitting outside was a big ugly white dresser. Clay guessed $400. I hopped out and said "498" yes meaning for the steal of $4.98 we got this monster dresser. Including tax it came to $5.23. It isn't solid wood, but it is strong and for that price it is AMAZING! It had a sticker inside a drawer, I looked it up and the retail price is $550!

Before, complete with broken knobs and a fancy bow.

The kids were excited it was done. I hauled it by myself into E's room today after I put all the clothes back in it last night (so much easier to do without "help"). I used cardboard to help slide it, and tried out a few arrangements in the room.

Done. notice another bargain of mine, the Mickey Mouse poster (he loves MM) was $1 at my local Dollar Tree!
The total cost went up for the dresser once we bought the paint, and knobs but it still worked out to just under $50 I think!
4 comments:
I cannot believe you paid less than $5 for that piece of furnature! And I LOVE what you did with it! I have been so into projects lately it feels so nice getting stuff done :)
That's amazing! You did a great job!! I remember the green desk you had in the living room, I liked that a lot.
Good work once again sis!
Holy cow, Sarah! You need to take me shopping so you can teach me how to find deals. You're so good at it! And you did a fabulous job of making the dresser look completely different!
Post a Comment